Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional

This past weekend the Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional opened their season at Teatro Nacional. I went on Sunday with Robert, Erin, and Tommy, and had a great experience. How can you not with this program:

Chosei Komatsu, D. Titular
Roger Wright, pianista

Tchaikovsky, Polonesa de Eugene Onegin
Rachmaninoff, Concierto para piano Nº 2 en do menor Op.18
Smetana, Tres danzas de La novia Vendida
Rimsky-Korsakov Capricho Español

This piano concert by Rachmaninoff is one of my favorites and Roger Wright was great on the piano, even though I noticed a few slip-ups. The setting was a little bit more relaxed then I'm used to from BSO and concerts in Sweden and rest of Europe. The musicians didn't wear any jackets, only white shirts, some of them short-sleeved, and Komatsu wore a white tux.

Lots of gringos/expats in the audience and far from sold out, I take it classical music isn't that big here. But tickets are cheap and I will definitely come back again during the season.

No comments: