Friday, March 12, 2010

Routines and rituals

I am not a big fan of routines, I prefer to spice up the life with a little change now and then. I don't want to clean the house the same day every week, or eat the same thing for breakfast every day (although I usually do...), or stick to a strict workout schedule.

However, I am a big fan of rituals. Like reading the New Yorker with my morning coffee before starting the day, or back in Boston, having happy hour beers on Fridays at work before heading over to the Tam, no matter what the rest of the evening and weekend had in store.

But the more I think about it; what's the difference between a routine and a ritual, really? It seems to me that I put boring stuff under routines and fun stuff under rituals, but surely there must be a more profound difference than that?

1 comment:

Josef Nedstam said...

Ritual, something you do to sqeeze a positive result out of destiny. Routine, something you do so that life doesn't break down into chaos. But what do I know? I'm gonna put in one snus as the whistle blows for first half, and one for 2nd half of today's game - that's my ritual to see if destiny can't change it's ways and give us a win over GAIS for once