Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sports

There's been a lot of sports (again) in my life lately. Last week I caught Arsenal-Barcelona at my new favorite bar, La Embajada in San Jose. Great game, too bad Zlatan's two goals didn't make for a win. Unfortunately I missed the return but learned that Messi shot Barcelona to the semi-finals.

I followed up by going to the Costa Rican El Classico, La Liga-Saprissa, in Alajuela last Sunday. It was insane. I get there a little early and stand on one of the blocked off streets just like all other goers. Police everywhere. All of a sudden the police grab a rope and start herding us to - nowhere but another police line. What to do? I laugh in disbelief and make for the entrance. SvFF would have been pale had they seen what was going on inside. Fire works, torches, Bengal fires. To the point where the artificial turf caught fire and they had to break the game for ten minutes. At which point some fans throws in a bomb to the field which goes off with a really loud boom. And the game is even further delayed. La Liga, the Alajuela team, win by 1-0 and I don't stick around to see what happens next but book it to the bus station and go home.

And now baseball season is back! I found live feeds for the first Red Sox-Yankees game but didn't watch it, nice comeback I learned. The second game I intended to watch but couldn't find any feeds. So for the third I didn't take any chances but went to a sports bar in Escazu I didn't know existed. Good game albeit we lost in extra innings. And I met some Swedes there, that was a nice surprise!

1 comment:

Josef Nedstam said...

Spring here too, so I got my Red Sox cap on!