Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Latest reads

Isaac Asimov, Foundation Trilogy


At my first visit to the Lexicon Library, I was allowed to borrow two books. Along with Middlesex I snagged the Foundation Trilogy, figured it was about time to figure out what it was all about. I'm generally not a sci-fi fan, but this was a great read! A plot very well crafted and Asimov doesn't inundate the reader with fancy future sci-fi stuff but "keeps it real", if you pardon. A question to my readers, though, I realized he later wrote more books about the Foundation, the sequels Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and the prequels Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation; have you read them and are they worthwhile?

The Dhammapada, introduced by Eknath Easwaran


To me the Dhammapada is the second greatest philosophical/religious text, second only to Tao Te Ching, and is always great to reread. This particular edition is introduced by Eknath Easwaran, and he does a great job introducing the concepts and thoughts prior to each chapter and it's highly recommended.

No comments: