Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ant migration

Also last week. I'd spent some time in the office reading when I decided to go into town and run some errands. (You'll know that happens a lot, to go into town running some errands. That, along with reading and running, is so far pretty much all I do here!) I was jumping in the shower when I noticed a loong trail of ants crossing the anteroom, one of the bedrooms and the bathroom. All of them carrying eggs. I realize I'm witnessing an ant migration. something I haven't experienced before but only read about, mostly from Africa. From the reading I remember the advice to leave them be, if you try and interrupt the trail with anti-ant spray or the sole of your shoe or whatever you're just going to confuse them and end up with ants all over the place. So after confirming their final destination wasn't inside the house, and their path wasn't passing the pantry, but they safely entered the house in the south and exited in the north, I preceded with the shower and went into town. When I got back a few hours later (it's a 45 min walk so it's always a few hours later), the trail was mostly gone, only a few confused stragglers left on random walls in the house. Apparently they flunked migration class.

No comments: